Camped out at French Creek to provide quick access to the East Sooke hiking trail. The French Creek campsite is drive in, but quite private and has a beautiful beach close by to catch the sunset. We explored the East Sooke Trail on Saturday morning, drove into Victoria for the afternoon and returned to Nanaimo on Sunday driving across the island on Highway 18, a beautiful drive. Of course we had to stop in at the Wild Side Grill in Port Renfrew for an amazing lunch on Sunday.
French Beach Camping & East Sooke Hiking
- Deer Group Islands by Kayak — The Deer Group Islands are a group of islands in the south east corner of Barkley Sound, British Columbia. We accessed the three main island on the west end of the Dear Group by kayak from Bamfield. This included Edward King Island, Diana Island, and Helby Island. For three days we explored the incredible beaches, [...]
- Hesquiat Peninsula Provincial Park Hi... — Hesquiat Peninsula Provincial Park The Hesquiat Peninsula is a peninsula on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, located northwest of the town of Tofino and Clayoquot Sound and Nootka Sound to the northwest. It marks the division between the two regions formed by those sounds and is named for the Hesquiaht people of [...]
- Final Days in Cape Town — Settling back into the Cape Town lifestyle following our road trip was a cinch for me. The final week of the trip was to be spent hanging around the city, exploring the beaches, and sights around town. I was most happy about having a place to stay in Sea Point. When I lived in Gardens, [...]
- Flower Ridge Alpine Hike — My friend Mat and I made a quick trip up to Strathcona Provincial Park to hike the Flower Ridge Trail. I do not have a great deal of experience backpacking into the alpine, as I have largely traditionally done coastal trips. This was my second time hiking up and staying over in the alpine, following [...]
- Rodger’s Ridge — Along with the Island Mountain Ramblers hiking club we explored Rodger’s Ridge on the north east edge of Strathcona Provincial Park. This was a great hike and a beautiful day! As we do not do much alpine hiking this was a great opportunity to climb up on a ridge and see what alpine has to [...]